My photo
Retired from 10 years in the Canadian Navy, and 28 years in the Canadian Diplomatic Service, with postings in Beijing, Mexico City, Sri Lanka, Romania, Abu Dhabi, Guyana, Ireland, Trinidad, and, last but not least, India.

Sunday 26 February 2017

As a Sail on the Horizon




The boy looked out to sea: 
past scrub spruce on rocky tors, 
his gaze skipped over gravel shingle 
whispering an ageless sough to the sea. 
There! Across the reach, beyond the island! 
The tiny sail touching the horizon 
would stay with the boy for hours,
traversing his lilliputian world.


Later, an economic refugee 
"going down the road," 
the boy was reminded of the sail 
as he watched through the night 
on the "Maritime Express." 
Small pools of light would appear 
in the Stygian darkness of a New Brunswick night: 
reminders of comfort and home.


On the horizon of my life I have seen many sails. 
Some have docked, sojourned, 
to become part of my life for a while. 
Others passed, unknown, into the vortex of Time. 
I only wish, at this late date, 
that I had tried harder, made more effort, 
to make the journeys of others 
as joyous as my own.

No comments:

The Ancient Hippie

The Ancient Hippie
Natraj dances with us all.

Welcome, and Namaste

Greetings fellow travellers,

For you American friends visiting, you will notice that this old Canadian uses Canadian English in this blog: kindly bear with me. As I blog primarily on subjects that are vitally interesting to me, I appreciate all feedback.

As I tend to be a bit of a language usage freak, I will, as required, edit obscenity and rude comments. That said, I welcome your opinions and discussion.

May your Dharma be clear

Peace

"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended:
That you have but slumb'red here,
While these visions did appear."


Puck’s epilogue to A Midsummer Night’s Dream