My photo
Retired from 10 years in the Canadian Navy, and 28 years in the Canadian Diplomatic Service, with postings in Beijing, Mexico City, Sri Lanka, Romania, Abu Dhabi, Guyana, Ireland, Trinidad, and, last but not least, India.

Friday 5 March 2010

One Link at a Time



I had a dream
in which I awoke this morning
to find I was enslaved.
Signposts had presented themselves,
I remembered, on the pathway
to today,
but I was too engaged,
too occupied within my Now,
to be concerned.

I had a dream
in which my freedoms were compromised,
whittled away slice by slice
until nothing remained
but these chains.
One slogan at a time,
false promise upon outright lie,
patriotic flags waving,
martial music playing,
our shackles forged
while we cheered.

I had a dream
that my children embraced their fetters,
and accepted what they weren’t,
leaning into the yoke.
The responsibility was mine,
but I was too involved, within me,
to look outward,
to see the uniforms,
the intimidation,
the slander,
to sense the absolute arrogance
of power.

I had a dream
in which I failed
in all I had believed in,
in all that I had hoped for tomorrow.
My silence forged my chains;
my indifference turned the key.
I awoke this morning
to find I was enslaved.

No comments:

The Ancient Hippie

The Ancient Hippie
Natraj dances with us all.

Welcome, and Namaste

Greetings fellow travellers,

For you American friends visiting, you will notice that this old Canadian uses Canadian English in this blog: kindly bear with me. As I blog primarily on subjects that are vitally interesting to me, I appreciate all feedback.

As I tend to be a bit of a language usage freak, I will, as required, edit obscenity and rude comments. That said, I welcome your opinions and discussion.

May your Dharma be clear

Peace

"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended:
That you have but slumb'red here,
While these visions did appear."


Puck’s epilogue to A Midsummer Night’s Dream