My photo
Retired from 10 years in the Canadian Navy, and 28 years in the Canadian Diplomatic Service, with postings in Beijing, Mexico City, Sri Lanka, Romania, Abu Dhabi, Guyana, Ireland, Trinidad, and, last but not least, India.

Wednesday 20 August 2008

We Are Canadian

Over the past year or so I have been receiving, from a variety of sources, forwarded emails that are decidedly against this brilliant multi-ethnic, multi-cultural society that is my Canada. These emails advocate slogans like, “If you don’t like our country the way it is, go back to (fill in just about any country in the world). And, “Dress like we do, or go back to where you came from.” And, “Learn to speak English.” And, “This is a Christian country, and we celebrate Christmas, not Kwanzaa, not Hanukkah, not Ramadan, not Holi.” And so on, ad nauseum.

I personally am proud to be Canadian, and one of Canada’s qualities that makes me proudest is our wonderful mosaic of cultures. It is a pleasure to hear a variety of the world’s great languages being spoken on our streets. I love walking through the varied streets of Little Italy, Chinatown, and the other ethnic neighbourhoods that jewel our cities. The diversity of dress, religion, language, food, customs, and music, makes us a richer nation.

We are Canada! Our history is made up on various immigrant groups arriving on our shores, and, while keeping their own cultures and languages, adapt and change into the Canadians we are today. I love the sound of the names of Canadians: Radjit Singh, Bill Wong, Marcos Alameda, Seamus OFionnain, William Farnsworth, Kathleen Two Feather, Jean Levesque, Mamoud abu Daoud, and on and on.

We are living advertisement for our global community. We are diverse. We are one. We are proud. We are Canadian.

1 comment:

Kel said...

This is what I have always loved about the Canada I've known.

The Ancient Hippie

The Ancient Hippie
Natraj dances with us all.

Welcome, and Namaste

Greetings fellow travellers,

For you American friends visiting, you will notice that this old Canadian uses Canadian English in this blog: kindly bear with me. As I blog primarily on subjects that are vitally interesting to me, I appreciate all feedback.

As I tend to be a bit of a language usage freak, I will, as required, edit obscenity and rude comments. That said, I welcome your opinions and discussion.

May your Dharma be clear

Peace

"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended:
That you have but slumb'red here,
While these visions did appear."


Puck’s epilogue to A Midsummer Night’s Dream